While Greece may currently have economic troubles, it remains as one of the most popular holiday destinations. Here are a few tips on how to avoid pickpockets in Greece.
1) Remember not to hang your belongings, including your handbag on the back side of the chair in restaurants, especially ones near the beach as they tend to be really crowded and the perfect spot for pickpockets to act.
2) When sightseeing and taking photos, make sure not to get too distracted from your surroundings. Make sure to keep your belongings close to you in order to avoid anyone taking advantage of your hands being busy.
3) Avoid leaving your belongings on the beach without constantly keeping an eye on them. Pickpockets love going to the beach in summer due to the high volume of tourists and therefore things to steal. Do not leave them in sight, try and hide them under your towel or clothes.
4) As many tourists enjoy renting a car when travelling around Greece, if you are one of them do NOT leave your bag on the seat next to you when the window is down as a pickpocket may stick their hand in when you are stationary.
5) Lastly, beware of any scooter or bike noises coming up behind you as they may ride as your side and attempt to steal your bag or belongings. Furthermore, they may even snatch the whole bag if they are travelling at a high speed.
Nicole Fernandez Medina